Friday, November 7, 2008

Piazza, New York Catcher

Piazza, New York Catcher by Belle and Sebastian is a light beat song with intelligent lyrics that tells the story of the relationship with a girl intertwined with allusions to baseball.



Elope with me, Miss Private, and we’ll sail around the world
I will be your Ferdinand and you my wayward girl
How many nights of talking in hotel rooms can you take?
How many nights of limping around on pagan holidays?
Oh, elope with me in private and we’ll set something ablaze
A trail for the devil to erase


Two people meet and set off for a grand adventure.


Come wave upon me from the wider family net absurd
“You’ll take care of her, I know it, you will do a better job”
Maybe, but not what she deserves


Family acceptance, marriage, and humble grace in "Maybe, but not what she deserves" when entering marriage.

I wish that you were here with me to pass the dull weekend
I know it wouldn’t come to love, my heroine pretend
A lady stepping from the songs we love until this day
You’d settle for an epitaph like “Walk Away, Renee”
The sun upon the roof in winter will draw you out like
a flower
Meet you at the statue in an hour
Meet you at the statue in an hour


Alas the lady has died but still lives on in the memories of songs, and the sun on the roof! The story ends like a classic tale with the lover secure in the knowledge of being fated to join his partner.

The guitar chords for this song are:
F#, B, F#, G#m, Ebm, G#m, C#, G#m, C#, B, Ebm, G#m, C#, Ebm.

Thanks to turtlish2 for the chords.

No comments: