Sunday, November 16, 2008

Glück, das mir verblieb (Marietta's Lied)



From the 1920s Opera Die tote Stadt by Erich Wolfgang Korngold, this is a beautiful aria about love and old times. Hearing this song feels like floating, and I find myself singing it in idle moments, here are the original German lyrics, followed by a Google Translation.


Glück, das mir verblieb,
rück zu mir, mein treues Lieb.
Abend sinkt im Hag
bist mir Licht und Tag.
Bange pochet Herz an Herz
Hoffnung schwingt sich himmelwärts.

Wie wahr, ein traurig Lied.
Das Lied vom treuen Lieb,
das sterben muss.

Ich kenne das Lied.
Ich hört es oft in jungen,
in schöneren Tagen.
Es hat noch eine Strophe
weiß ich sie noch?

Naht auch Sorge trüb,
rück zu mir, mein treues Lieb.
Neig dein blaß Gesicht
Sterben trennt uns nicht.
Mußt du einmal von mir gehn,
glaub, es gibt ein Auferstehn.

------------
Google translation
-------------
Lucky that I remained,
back to me, my faithful love.
Evening falls in Hag
're my light and day.
Pochet anxious heart to heart
Hope is swinging skyward.

How true, a sad song.
The Song of loyal Lieb,
the death.

I know the song.
I hear it often young,
In better days.
It still has a verse
I know it yet?

Seam also worry cloudy,
back to me, my faithful love.
Tilt your pale face
Death separates us.
Thou hast heard of me go,
credible, there is a Auferstehn.

2 comments:

Kass said...

I just googled this and found this wonderful arrangement. So beautiful. Thank you.

Unknown said...

the final world in the libretto is "afterlife"