Thursday, December 4, 2008

Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman

Way of the Peaceful Warrior Book Cover

All these years Dan Millman had grown up struggling to "be a somebody". Talk about backwards! He had been a somebody locked into a fearful mind and a mortal body.

Way of the Peaceful Warrior is a book about identity beyond that of our own desires. The story of Dan Millman is that of a successful gymnast who found that succeding at all he had been striving for left him more disappointed than if he had failed.

All These years I had been sustained by an illusion -- happiness through victory -- and now that illusion was burned to ashes. I was no happier, no more fulfilled, for all my achievements. Finally I saw through the clouds. I saw that I had never learned how to enjoy life, only how to achieve. All my life I had been busy seeking happiness, but never finding or sustaining it.

Millman contrasts the calm we should all feel in our life with the rushed pace that we eat, the impatience we feel for answers when we ask questions, and the undue importance we place on tasks that cause us to feel frustration and anger towards ourselves and others.

I’ve been battling illusions my whole life preoccupied with every petty personal problem, I’ve dedicated my life to self improvement without grasping the one problem that sent me seeking in the first place. While trying to make everything in the world work out for me, I always succumbed to my own mind, always preoccupied with me me me…my only real problem in life is my mind.

What should replace our frantic lifestyle and personal pain is a kind of peace and calm, an appreciation of beauty, taste, and life that only a calm mind can feel.

No need to resist life just do your best. Open your eyes and see that you are far more than you imagine... You are yourself and everyone else too!...You are already free!


Get the book from Amazon: Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives

No comments: