Monday, January 4, 2010

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Never Let Me Go is a well written novel by Kazuo Ishiguro who leads the reader to conclusions with the minimum of detail and seems to have a cap on all the minutia of human interaction.

The novel to me centers around a satire within a satire. The first one being that cloned humans who are created for the purpose of donating organs are subhuman, born into the world without reason, and bound to an unavoidable fate of donating organs till they die. I kept on wondering in my head why the characters didn't just try to make a run for it and escape their fate, till I remembered their whole situation paralleled the human condition with death. How as the use of technology grows in our society we are all becoming dehumanized. Or trans-humanized if you will. Anyway, it was a surprisingly deep novel. I strongly recommend it.

No comments: